There are some changes to the food code for pet dogs in dining establishments. These changes are for pets only, not service animals that are allowed wherever the customer with the service animal goes.
Outdoor eating areas
Restaurants that allow dogs in the outdoor serving area need to:
- Submit a plan to their local health department and get approval in advance.
- The dogs must go directly to outdoor area.
- The outdoor area that allows dogs can’t be used for food or drink preparation.
- No serviceware storage or dish washing is allowed in the outdoor area.
The Legislature passed a law with new rules for establishments like tasting rooms or microbreweries that don’t have food production and have a limited food selection.
For these establishments:
- A pre-approved plan is not required.
- Signage is required saying dogs are allowed inside.
- You must provide notice to your local health department.