- Current requirement: Cook to 155°F and hold for :15
- New requirement: Cook to 158°F and no hold time required*
* You may apply for an approved plan with your local health department if want to cook ground meat to a different temperature.
- Current requirement: Cook to 165°F and hold for :15
- New requirement: Cook to 165°F and no hold time required
Raw fish needs to be stored away from other raw animal products. Raw fish may not come into contact with prep items like cutting boards and knives that are also being used for other raw animal products without first being washed, rinsed and sanitized. This is designed to reduce allergen cross-contact.
And new procures are in place for vacuum-packed fish labeled “keep frozen.” The packaging seals must be broken:
- Before thawing in a refrigerator.
- Immediately after thawing in running water.
This is to reduce the risk of Clostridium botulinum, which is a bacteria that can grow in a low-oxygen environment like vacuum-packaged fish.
Two new consumer advisory requirements are in place when serving partially-cooked fish:
- Disclosure: Partially-cooked fish can be prepared upon consumer’s request.
- Reminder: Information available upon request regarding the safety of consuming fresh partially-cooked fish.
Fruits & Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables must be stored away from raw animal products.