[Toolkit] Tip pooling (update)
The association heard from several members who were holding off on implementing tip pooling policies until federal regulations on this issue solidified. We now have clarity.
We recently updated our tip pooling toolkit with new information, legal guidance, resources and best practices to help you create a policy that works best for your business.
Mask mandates are back for Thurston and Snohomish counties
Snohomish County reinstated a mask mandate for all residents 5 years and older, regardless of vaccination status. Today Thurston County announced their own mask directive that will go into effect on Aug. 13.
As the delta variant spreads across the country, states like Oregon have introduced mask mandates, but Gov. Jay Inslee indicated he will leave it up to the localities for now. Snohomish is the first county to make the move in Washington state. Click here to read more.
LCB alcohol compliance checks resume
The Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) recently resumed underage sales compliance checks for alcohol, tobacco and cannabis sales after putting the program on hold during the pandemic. Underage alcohol sales compliance rates for all licensees fell to 75%.
As hospitality workers are returning to the industry and new employees join our teams, now is a great time to ensure your workers are fully trained on alcohol sales and service.
Vaccine search results coming to Yelp
Yelp recently announced an update that will allow restaurants to update their profiles to include two types of vaccine information: whether their entire staff is vaccinated and if proof of vaccination for guests dining indoors is required. Yelp users will be allowed to filter search results based on this information.
[Webinar] What you need to know about the upcoming plastic bag ban
Shannon Jones, material management coordinator for Western Washington at the Department of Ecology, will discuss the single-use plastic bag ban with Samantha Louderback, state government affairs senior manager at the Washington Hospitality Association. Bring your questions at 10 a.m. Sept. 15. Register here.
In case you missed it
- Current coronavirus guidance and requirements
- Food delivery disruptions may affect your business
- [Members only] Webinar replay on service charge disclosures
- What you need to know for wildfire season
- [Toolkit] Vaccination and mask policies for employers
- [Toolkit] Back to work
- CDC issues new masking recommendations
- 130 Seattle restaurants, bars now asking patrons to show proof of vaccination(KEPR)
- US hotel industry slowly rebounding amid summer travel surge(Fox Business)
- Automation, higher pay and new hours: How businesses are coping with the labor shortage(Puget Sound Business Journal)
- Worker shortages complicate Seattle-Tacoma Airport’s bounce back to pre-pandemic travel numbers (Seattle Times)
- Frontline service workers left out of the vaccine mandate trend(Politico)
- How restaurants will enforce vaccine mandates(Quartz)
- How hotels are adapting to a shifting landscape(NYREJ)