In a big win from your government affairs team, the Washington State Liquor & Cannabis Board (LCB) has adopted rules to allow ax throwing at liquor-licensed establishments. The rules allow liquor licensed premises to provide ax-throwing activities with the approval of a safety operating plan.
Establishments must receive prior approval from the LCB before allowing ax throwing.
The applicant must provide a safety operating plan that addresses mitigating safety concerns and must include:
- Protocols for monitoring alcohol consumption
- Always have MAST-certified staff in the ax-throwing area
- Prohibiting anyone who appears intoxicated from participating in ax throwing
- De-escalating patrons who appear intoxicated and are uncooperative and hostile
- Training employees on the safety operating plan
Floor plans must also be included in the application. Ax-throwing establishments must:
- Designate spaces where alcohol can be sold, served or consumed
- Alcohol is prohibited in ax-throwing areas
- You must have barriers around the ax-throwing area such as walls, fences, cages or similar obstructions
These new rules go into effect on July 9.