Reminder: LCB approval needed before offering alcohol-to go  

In 2021, the Legislature passed House Bill 1480, which contained crucial relief for hospitality businesses. Your government affairs team fought hard to secure temporary alcohol to-go allowances to open more potential revenue streams during the various lockdowns. These temporary allowances are set to expire on July 1, 2023.  

In the 2023 legislative session, before the current temporary allowance ends, we will be working hard to make alcohol to-go permanent in Washington. Operators that are considering alcohol to-go should show their enthusiastic support for this policy so we can make it a permanent option in Washington state. That starts with filling out this application. It is free and only takes a few minutes to complete. Read below for more information on what the state Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) requires for operators who are offering alcohol to-go. 

Filling an application 

Download here 

The application is free and only takes a few minutes to fill out. This is a requirement by the LCB to be in compliance with the alcohol to-go temporary allowance. This also helps the LCB gauge how many establishments are offering alcohol to-go so they can report back to the Legislature on the efficacy of the program. This information will be a key part of our efforts to make this a permanent option. 

Step 1: Choose an endorsement.  

There are three endorsements you can choose on the application: 

Factory sealed containers allows the licensed establishment to sell alcohol products at retail for curbside and takeout service, delivery, or both. 

Cocktail kits/ premixed drinks/ wine by the glass allows a licensed Beer/Wine Restaurant or Spirits/Beer/Wine Restaurant to sell wine by the glass or premixed wine drinks by the glass for curbside service and delivery.  

The cocktail to-go endorsement has additional rules businesses must follow:  

  • You must sell a food item with wine by the glass or premixed wine drink. 
  • You must sell a complete meal with cocktails or cocktail kit. 
  • Up to 3 oz. of spirits may be sold per complete meal. 
  • The products must be packaged in containers that are sealed in a manner designed to prevent consumption without removal of a tamper evident lid, cap or seal. 

Curbside / Delivery / Take Out – Growlers allows a licensed establishment – including a hotel – to sell growlers for curbside, takeout, or delivery service. 

Note: Spirits/Beer/Wine Restaurant licensees will need to apply for all three endorsements to continue selling the products allowed for sale.  

Step 2: Third-party service provider 

If you are selling alcohol to-go online, you must note that in the application. You must also write the name of any third-party service provider you will be using for delivery. Third-party providers can only deliver factory-sealed bottles, cans and kegs. 

As a reminder, proceed with caution if you are considering using a third-party delivery service for alcohol sales. The LCB has stepped up alcohol delivery compliance checks and food service operators can be held liable for violations committed by third-party services. 

Steps 3/4 Provide contact information and sign the application 

And you’re done! Five minutes to fill out this application can make a world of difference in our efforts to make alcohol to-go permanent in Washington and ensure you are compliant with the state’s liquor laws and rules. Once you have filled out the application, you can email it to: or mail it to:  

Licensing and Regulation Division 

PO Box 43098, Olympia WA 98504-3098